Friday, February 01, 2013

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve - Book Review


304 pages

Firstly, I haven't posted a picture of the cover here, because this picture is so much better.  My copy has the worst cover possibly in the history of fiction.  Some very very bad decision by Scholastic has done Reeve no favours.  Happily, this error seems to have been rectified in more recent editions, and joy upon joy WETA are working of a film adaptation with Peter Jackson.  Hoorah!

So you may guess from that, I loved this book. I knew from the first sentence I was going to love this book and it didn't disappoint.

This is the first in quite a series of 4 books in the Predator Cities series. The concept of Municipal Darwinism is, as far as I am aware, wholly original.  The plot doesn't take the route you expect and it is a jolly good adventure from start to finish.
Also, for a kids book, it is pretty gory and has some properly nasty characters.  Which is nice. I'm rather ashamed that it has taken me this long to read Reeve, but I shall certainly be reading the rest of the series.

There's a couple of places where the text is slightly clunky or childish, and one incredibly flowery passage that doesn't quite sit right, but other than that I have no complaints.  Except for the cover.

You should read this.

No comments: