Friday, February 01, 2013

Dissolution by CJ Sansom - Book Review


463 pages

CJ Sansom is one of the best crime writers around right now.  I'd claim that he is the best, but I haven't read all crime in existence  so I won't.  He writes a combination of two of my favourite genres: crime and history.  He clearly knows what he's talking about.
This is the first in a series of books following the life of Matthew Shardlake, a hunchbacked lawyer that gets caught up in solving crimes often against his better judgement, and often because politically it would be unwise to refuse the work.
The characterisation is excellent.  Shardlake himself is quite likeably unlikeable, which is impressive in itself.  The sights, sound and smells of the 16th century are so real that you are totally absorbed.  This is one of those proper books that sucks you in and leaves you living half in the world of the dissolution of monasteries while you try and conduct your everyday life.
I've read this one before and I'll read it again.  This series is a definite keeper, all the hardcopies are on my shelf and will stay there. Highly recommended.

No comments: