Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Eat This! - Mayonnaise

I know, I don't either.  It's just that today I had a real craving for a tuna mayonnaise sandwich, and I didn't have any in the fridge.  Also I have two sick kids at the moment so couldn't just pick it up at the shop, as I CAN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE.  Well, except on the school run with the two sick ones quarantined under a raincover.
The point is, maybe some of you like a bit of homemade, and you like getting a sore arm, and you are really going to eat all this mayonnaise in 2 weeks (I'm not, what a waste)... here you are.



2 egg yolks
large dollop of English mustard
1tsp sugar
1tsp salt
splash of Worcester sauce
300ml oil
3tsp lemon juice or white vinegar or a mix of the two
1tsp hot water

whisk the egg yolks, mustard, sugar, salt, and Worcester sauce together in a bowl till smooth. Add 150ml oil SLOWLY (dribble it in) while whisking fast. Add half of the lemon juice and the hot water and whisk in.  Add the rest of the oil in larger splashes while whisking. Add the rest of the lemon juice. Season to taste and if you are me, add more mustard.  Cover and keep in the fridge.  Use within 2 weeks.

On the point of tuna, I must say it is one of those foods I find quite repulsive on a usual day. Sometimes, however, it is the only thing that will hit the spot.  Sardines are the same.  Is this a uniquely fish-related phenomenon?

No comments: