Saturday, February 20, 2010

Experiments in recrystallisation

I've been working for some time trying to get the perfect recipe and method for butter tablet. I'm getting pretty close now, I think I have the right recipe, it is just the method that is trouble. Specifically I think the issue is the crystallisation of the sugar. I'm working on the theory that too little beating once the mixture is cooked will result in an amorphous toffee, and two much will result in crystals so small what you really have is a fudge. Although I clearly had good crystallisation visible this time, and the tablet had the required 'shatter' when I tried to cut it, the texture is slightly gritty.

So did I beat it too long or too little? I think it was probably too long, but does anyone have any ideas?

Either way I think this is one of the greatest things that you could encounter in a cake tin!

No comments: