Friday, February 05, 2010

Afghans

I am trying a new thingummyjig where I can just email a photo straight from iphoto and put text in and hopefully it will just appear on my blog. Here's hoping it works!

Anyway this post is about the amazing Afghan. I'm sure those of the nationality are also amazing but in this case I am talking about the chocolate treat. I discovered these whilst on our most recent trip to NZ and by golly they are a wondrous thing. The latest batch I made them all half the size of the usual ones, thinking they might last longer but of course 1 day later and we have scoffed the lot (with a little help from our friends...) Here's the recipe:

200g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups cornflakes
about a cup of raisins
about 1/2 cup of coconut

Cream the butter and sugar, sift and mix in the flour & cocoa. fold in the cornflakes, raisins & coconut.
Cook for 15mins at 180 deg C.

Remember to add the cornflakes as late before baking as you can and squish them down on the baking tray
You can make it as a solid block in a tray, but you need to bake it for 25 mins instead.

The best thing I just discovered is that you can use Weetabix instead of Cornflakes. For us this mean they are now a fully storecupboard item! Yay!

Posted via email from Alice's posterous

No comments: