Thursday, May 12, 2005

The beginning of the end???

So much for thesis writing being an ideal time to blog to my heart's content. It turns out that I didn't have any time, but hoorah hoorah now I am revising for the dreaded viva it looks like I have all the time in the world to make up for my lack of blog action.

Two things have been brought to my attention today:

1) You can buy Cillit Bang in Superdrug (BAKED-ON GREASE, DIRT ON FLOORS!). This strikes me as more than odd. Even stranger is that fact that it is stocked right next to men's deodourants. I have nothing really to say about Cillit Bang as I have talked it all out and can't be bothered to re-hash it all here. Suffice to say that limescale is not just "calcium that sticks", and calcium reacts with plain water so your demonstration is useless Barry whatever-your-name-is. And have you noticed that their amazing demonstration of how many buckets you get from one tub of "power crystals" adds up to the vast vast total of 9? Not exactly beating the Fairy liquid challenge, are they?

2) What I am actually writing this blog for: the amazing self-replicating robot. OK it is just a pile of blocks, but this may well be the beginning of the end for the human race. I read an article that rated the disasters facing Earth in the near (!) future for likelyhood and distructive power. AI taking over was rated extremely likely and highly distructive. Apparently it will happen in the next 75 years. I don't think I need to tell you where I read that, but it begins with M and sounds like Petro.