Friday, March 05, 2010

Playdough

I know you can buy perfectly good playdough but why would you when it is so easy to make? This way you don't care if you end up with a mottled brown lump when the colours mix together.


This is the recipe I use:

2 cups of plain flour
2 cups of coloured water
1 Tbsp. of cooking oil
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup of salt

Directions:
Place all of the ingredients in a medium size or large pan. Cook on medium-high and stir it until the playdough thickens. Keeps best in the fridge in plastic containers.

You can of course make the mix and then add the colour later and then you can split it up for multiple colours but I now mix the dry ingredients, then cook it 1 cup at a time with approx 500 mL coloured water.
I timed it this time and it takes about 2 minutes to go from this:


to this:

to this:

You DO need all these ingredients. It turns out weird if you miss any out (trust me). If it is too sticky knead in a bit more oil at the end. It cools down pretty quickly so I usually turn it out of the pan and squash it flat and the Bean stamps out patterns in it until it cools. For some reason she chose to use Yoda's head for the stamping in this case!


There's stacks more recipes here including one based on peanut butter (obviously not recommended for under 1s) of all things.

2 comments:

Jason Clark said...

I never knew you could make your own play-dough :-)

AtomicYoghurt said...

I expect to see some good illustrations using home-made playdough in your next sermon.